Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cement, Pipes and Beams

I’ve got some new pictures from the basement.  There was a post in the middle of the floor that held up the center beam.  The post was in the middle of what I want to become my TV room, so I decided it had to go.  In order to accomplish this, I needed to pour a new footing, and put in two new posts and replace the beam with a larger, stronger beam.



This is the footing and the new post.



This is the new beam with the old post now removed.



I then needed to jackhammer up the floor to add sewer pipe to what will become my new bathroom.  I had this done by Johanson Plumbing.


Here is the floor after the pipes have been laid and cemented over.



During this time, my tub which I had ordered a little while earlier arrived.  I wanted a big tub, one that I would fit well in.  So I got the 72” version.  I have to say, it is a pretty tub.


This is the tub.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Basement, first of many.

I’ve decided to finish my basement, in this the first of probably many posts, I’m going to post some pictures of what’s been going on in my basement.  First of all, I am not responsible for the colorful floor.  That was from one of the previous owners.


The Window

First, I had to replace that itty bitty window with a proper egress window.



so I dug out the outside by window to make room for the new window and well.


I had to build a temporary wall to support the weight of the floor so I wedged 2x4s between the floor and the floor joists above.




This is another angle of the temporary wall.  I know it’s not pretty…




…but as you can see, it did the job.  I still needed to fill in that hole above the window and put in the well.




This is what the window looks like now from the inside, I had to put a piece of angle steel on top to support the weight of the floor joists.




This is what it now looks like from the outside.  Not too shabby.  I’ve still got a little to do with the surrounds, but there you have it.


Next time, footings and beams!